Saturday, March 7, 2009

What a Fine Line...

Two weeks from today my family and I are moving my grandma BACK to her lakehouse--I couldn't be more excited for her! It's quite an ordeal of how this happened and included us having to pull it off the market but we know this is where God wants her and where she needs to be. In the past few weeks we have been making her pack up her current house. She called yesterday and informed me that she had lots packed and was ready to take some stuff to the lake so I went this afternoon but of course when I got there she didn't want to go anymore....but I took her anyway. :) Healthwise she is doing so much better but mentally we're not even close to there yet. A lot of it is that she wants to remember things from a long time ago vs. current because that's when Grandad was alive and such. She has totally reverted to being childlike and stayed in this funk....it's to the point that I find myself so annoyed with it because she doesn't want to do anything for herself and wants someone to take care of everything. When I went to get her car out of the garage this afternoon I couldn't get to it because she had been throwing her trash into Kroger's bags and throwing it into the garage and not tying them up. The entire side of the garage was covered in kleenex everywhere. ........9 Hefty Garbage bags full. I counted as I made her help me clean it up so I could back her car out. I struggle with the fine line of needing to help her because she is 83 years old and legitly needs help but she is playing the system because she knows that if she pretends that she can't do things that we will continue to do it for her. My immediate family has tried everything and is now at the point that if it doesn't get done then that's the only way she will learn--we feel like she's a child again.

This evening I was in the process of dealing with deactivating accounts at her current home and reactivating accounts at the lakehouse. For one I needed a credit card and she handed me her driver's lisc., then tried giving me her AARP card, and has no idea where her credit card went...needless to say I paid the bill. After going through her records I discovered that she paid a lofty fee (over $500) to cancel a contract and I was able to recoup the money tonight and get it credited back to her account that I reactivated for Dish TV and she had no concept of how much money I got back for her......she doesn't have to pay her TV bill for one year now.

I ended up putting in for a personal day the day before because we have serious work to do. I'm hoping to get all her boxes and clothes moved to the lake that day and help her get stuff like her kitchen set back up and have people coming in all day to set things up like the cable, internet, etc. That way when the Uhaul comes on the Saturday it's just furniture.

I desire to be a good grandchild to her and serve her in the way that she needs but struggle with the fact that I can't do it all for her.....even though that would be way easier sometimes. But when I do that then she calls everytime the trash needs taken out and once she's back to the lake she will be over an hour away. Life's a cycle---I hope I have good grandchildren to take care of me one day! :)

No comments: