Friday, December 19, 2008

Updates from the Week

Here are a few updates from a crazy/wild week:

1) We ended up getting all the ice last night and have no school today. I was majorly bummed.....:( Plus I don't have electricity, which means I'm just sitting around and in 59 minutes my laptop battery will be dead and my cell phone battery is already dead. I should have been a little more prepared for this situation. :)
2) Even though my kids didn't get their Christmas party today yesterday they won a huge party and it was so fun. Every one of my kids made their accelerated reading goals and let me tell you I made their goals huge! As a class, they made 1200 points...I was so proud of them! So I paid for a pizza party and we had a reading marathon day and they got to wear pajamas and the whole bit. The best part of the day was when "Santa Claus" delivered a new bike to one of the girls in my classroom who I had let the administration know that she needed one. She was ecstatic and it made me so happy for her! She's such a sweet girl and is wise beyond her years for sure! So I guess we'll be having a Christmas party after the new year....oh my!
3) Grandma was admitted to the hospital this week and was there for 3 days and then discharged to Doctor's Hospital in Bremen. It's a rehab hospital and I'm really glad she's there....it looks like she's going to be there for a while. It was a rocky week but I think she's where she needs to be for now. She doesn't really qualify to go home yet and doesn't qualify for a nursing home so we're in limbo. The goal is to get her stronger physically and emotionally so that she can go home. I've been going to wherever she is at everyday, which is good I wouldn't want to be left alone if I was in that situation. It looks like the next few weeks I'll be with her a lot......but I will do whatever it takes to get her on the road to recovery. What a hard situation! It really makes you stop and think about all the things that you take for granted every day. In the end it's those simple daily activities that you can't do. I find myself thanking God more and more for just being able to have a body that can function properly. Needless to say, my Christmas vacation will be filled with doing rehab activities with Grandma and talking to the elderly. :)
4) One of my best friends from high school lost her dad this week to a blood clot...he was 51. The memorial is tomorrow morning and I'm planning to go before I leave for Chicago. It makes me so sad for her because there was not this process of preparing yourself mentally for change and no opportunity to start the process of grieving instead it just hit like a train. She's a very very strong person and I met up with her the other night and was amazed by her strength!
5) Our cruise for spring break is officially booked!!!! Bahamas here were come on April 5, 2009! I'm so glad that I can travel and am so looking forward to that trip!
6) I'm going to Chicago (weather permitting) tomorrow for the annual Christmas party with the Purdue RA's....oh I hope the weather is ok! I will be going to Chicago next Saturday too to visit my friend from Texas and my friend Laura.....so excited!

1 comment:

Lena said...

Wow! You had quite a week:) I'm also home by myself, but i'm actually enjoying it. It's probably the fact that i have electricity:)